Koh Samui and Phuket are two of the most popular tourist destinations in Thailand. These places offer great beaches with their own uniqueness. If you have the time to visit both places, that would be great but if you have shorter holiday, you may want to choose one to optimize your experience there. Go check our article below to help you choose between both destinations.
In this article we are going to give you information about:
– What is Koh Samui and Phuket
– How is the Transportation in Koh Samui and Phuket
– What you can do in Koh Samui and Phuket
– Koh Samui vs Phuket
About Koh Samui
Koh Samui is an island in Thailand located at the east coast of the Kra Isthmus, which is the narrowest part of the Malay Peninsula. This island is also the second largest island in Thailand after Phuket and one of the most popular tourist destination in the country with its sandy beaches, coral reefs, and coconut trees. Taken from Wikipedia, the climate here is called tropical savanna climate with average temperature around 30 degree Celsius and the rain is almost happen every month.
Transportation in Koh Samui
To reach the Koh Samui, you can fly from Bangkok to the island or fly from Bangkok to SuratThani and then take the ferry to reach the island. When you are already on the island, you can move around by Songthaew, which is their traditional public transportation. There is also Taxi, but they are not metered and you should ask the price first before using their service. If you want move freely, try renting a car or scooter.
Attraction in Koh Samui
Here are some recommended activities, you can do in Koh Samui.
– Try visit Ang Thong National Marine Park. Here you can enjoy towering limestone mountains, the jungle, white sand beaches as well as waterfall and lakes hidden on the island.
– Try visiting Big Buddha temple. The Buddha statue here is beautifully golden in color and sit around 12 meter tall.
– Try visiting the Fisherman’s Village Samui. Here you can enjoy many trendy restaurants and a selection of hotels lining in its narrow beach road.
Phuket is the most well known tourist destination in the country. The place is consist of the largest island called Phuket and another 32 small islands off its coast. Phuket is located off the west coast of Thailand in the Andaman Sea and is connected to its neighboring province PhangNga through the Sarasin Bridge. The climate here is called koppen climate with average temperature around 28 degree Celsius while the rain happened almost every month especially in August to October.
Transportation in Phuket
To reach the island, you can fly from your country to Phuket International Airport. You may also travel by road using bus from Southern Bus Terminal of Bangkok. When you are already on the island, you can use their traditional public transportation like Songthaew or TukTuk. There are also Taxi and rent a car with the driver. If you want to take the wheel yourself, you can rent a car and motorcycle to move around more freely.
Attraction in Phuket
Here are some recommended activities, you can do in Phuket.
– Try visiting PhangNga Bay. Here you can enjoy the Tapu Island with its signature rocky pinnacle and KohPanyee with its breathtakingly huge, vertical limestone cliffs.
– Try visiting Phi Phi Islands. This place consist of two islands and the white solitude beaches will surely calm and yet make your heart race with how beautiful the place is.
– Try visiting the Big Buddha. The big Buddha statue will somehow give you a calm atmosphere. For those who seek peace and calming nuance, you may want to try visiting the place. For another holiday recommendation, check our previous article on Menorca vs Mallorca here.
Now, let’s compare Koh Samui with Phuket. From how both places feels, Koh Samui has some building regulations, so you can still feel the greatness of nature here compared to when in Phuket with its developed tourist destination. From how easy they are to reach, Phuket can be accessed through land, water, and air while Koh Samui can only be accessed from water and air. From the beaches Phuket offer wider and more crowded beaches with many services on the shore while Koh Samui offer smaller and quieter beaches that are excellent for snorkeling.
Koh Samui vs Phuket
|– Less developed than Phuket||– More developed than Koh Samui|
|– Smaller beaches||– Wider beaches|
|– Less people than in Phuket||– More crowded|
|– Better for peaceful and calming holiday||– Better for urban nuance and nightlife seeker|
All in all, the decision is all yours to make. In our opinion, it is great to experience both places if you do have the time to visit. However, if you want to match the destination with your taste. Phuket is great for crowd and modern nuance seeker with great nightlife while Koh Samui is better for those who seek peaceful holiday.