Almost everybody know that South Carolina is the house of many beautiful places with their shoreline of subtropical beaches and marsh like sea islands, which making it one of the top destination to spend your break. In today Hilton Head vs Myrtle Beach article, we are going to compare these favorite spots to give you more information about what you can expects from them, so you can decide which place meets your taste the most. If you are interested in one/two of them, go check our article below.
In this article, we are going to give you information about:
– What are Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach
– How to Reach and Move Around Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach
– What you can do in Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach
– Hilton Head vs Myrtle Beach
About Hilton Head
Hilton head is a resort town located in South Carolina, United States. This resort town was named after Captain William Hilton who identified a headland near the entry of Port Royal Sound. This popular tourist destination not only has 12 miles of beachfront on the Atlantic Ocean but also rich history that started with seasonal occupation by Native Americans many years ago, European exploration of the island and the Sea Island Cotton Trade.
Transportation in Hilton Head
If you to arrive quickly to the island, you can either fly straight to the island itself or through Savannah Hilton Head Airport, which will require you to take a trip around an hour to reach the center of the island. You may also take direct flight to the island airport and you can connect at Charlottes with USAIR Express. If you fly from Atlanta, Delta provides several flights daily to reach the island.
Once arrive, you can move around freely with your car but the road is also very safe even if choose to bicycle with major roads in the resort plantations have their bicycle path, but it may not suitable for night riding. For another holiday recommendation, check Kaanapali vs Wailea here.
Hilton Head Attractions
Here are some recommended activities or place to try when you are in Hilton Head:
– Because of the wealthy facilities, Coligny Beach is one of the most popular places to visit in the island. Not only access to clean bathrooms in their nearby shopping center, the plenty food options and fairly hard-packed sand, which making it perfect spot to just sit and enjoy the moment or bike riding.
– For those who want quieter place, Alder Lance is a must place to try. There are also many facilities you can use here as well as similar nice sand and nearby shopping center with numerous restaurants.
– There is no zoo here, but you still can enjoy the island wildlife in Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge where you can find shorebirds, alligators, herons, deer, and other animals.
– You also need to try the Harbor Town district with its gated Sea Pines resort community as well as the home to the iconic candy cane-striped lighthouse. For those who love golfing, this place is also the home to the RBC Heritage golf tournament.
About Myrtle Beach
Myrtle is a city located at the East Coast of South Carolina and has one of the most beautiful beaches in the United States with its 60-mile stretch beach known as The Grand Strand. As you can expected from a favorite tourist destination, it also currently the 2nd fastest growing metropolitan city in the country. It all thanks to the warm subtropical climate and their extensive beaches that attract millions of people from around the world every year. There are so many hotels, motels, resorts, restaurants as well as attractions here.
Transportation in Myrtle Beach
If you want the fastest access to Myrtle Beach, the best option is of course by plane. Through Myrtle International Airport you can arrive by many well-known carriers, such as Delta, American Airlines, and United Airlines. If you are living in nearby cities or just want to drive your way here, go check Myrtle Beach official site to see how many miles you are going to take. When you are already arrive, you can move around by cars because the city roads has vastly improved to make your travel here a breeze.
For those who want to use public transportation, the local bus service is a very affordable option to travel to and from Grand Strand and neighboring towns. This bus service has more than 80 vehicles and work in a schedule that you can check in Myrtle Beach Convention and Bureau offices.
Myrtle Beach Attractions
Here are some recommended activities or place to visit when you are in Myrtle Beach:
– Since this place is famous for the beach, of course you should try what it has to offer. There are so many water activities you can do here besides playing with sand and sun bathing, such as swimming in the mild waves, jet skiing, and deep-sea fishing.
– Try visiting the Myrtle Beach State Park where you can explore the maritime forest or rent a campsite to enjoy the night view here. What you can enjoy on the spot are nature trails, surfing, fishing and equestrian facilities with access to cleaner beach.
– Try one of the most popular aquariums in the country, the Ripley’s Aquarium. Here you can enjoy the exhibit of Dangerous Reef with its 340-foot underwater tunnel and sharks, tarpons as well as green moray eels.
– If you bring your family, one of the must visit is the Family Kingdom Amusement Park which located at its beach side. Go try the big Ferris wheel if you want to enjoy the panoramic views of the ocean and the Grand Strand.
Now, let’s compare Hilton Head with Myrtle Beach. Both places have their own way to make you enjoy your stay. Overall, Myrtle is just like what you can expect from a typical beach resorts with various spots like miniature golf as well as rides while Hilton is much more quieter because it is kept to maintain the natural state as much as possible. Hilton has numerous plantations that some are beach oriented with their own golf course.
From the nuance, Myrtle is more suitable with young visitors especially on the beach while Hilton is indeed pricier but is more family-friendly.
Hilton Head vs Myrtle Beach
|Hilton Head||Myrtle Beach|
|– Less crowded than Myrtle Beach||– More crowded than Hilton Head|
|– More expensive||– More affordable|
|– Great for older couple and family with children||– Great for younger couple or single travelers|
All in all, the decision is all yours to make. In our opinion, both places are great and you should pick whichever sounds the best for you. If you prefer city vibe, Myrtle is the one to go but if you want calmer vibe or plan to bring family and children, Hilton Head seems like the better option.