Cozumel and Playa del Carmen are located across each other. Both places offer their own uniqueness and nuances. It is great of you have time to spend some time in both places, but if you only have limited time you may want to choose one of them to maximize your experience. Go check our article below for some information before you book your ticket.
In this article we are going to give you information about:
– What is Cozumel and Playa del Carmen
– How is the Transportation in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen
– What you can do in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen
– Cozumel vs Playa del Carmen
Cozumel is an island under Mexico territory located at the eastern coast of Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula just as the opposite of Playa del Carmen that we are going to talk later. As you can expect from one of the most popular tourist destination in Mexico, the economy here is based on the tourism. The climate here is called tropical savanna climate with average temperature around 28 degree Celsius while the season is split into two; dry and wet season with rain almost happened in every month.
Transportation in Cozumel
To reach the island of Cozumel, the most popular way is using boat from Playa del Carmen. You can fly to Cancun first then continue your journey via land to Playa del Carmen and cross to the island with a ferry. When you are already on the island you can use Taxi, but since the road is crowded here, you may want to use bike or scooter to move around freely. You may also rent a jeep to get around while enjoying the wind blow your hair through your adventure.
Attraction in Cozumel
Here are some recommended activities you can try on Cozumel:
– Try visiting the El Cielo Cozumel or also called Sky/Heaven. This place only accessible by boat but the view here is definitely breathtaking. Clear blue water with white sand and lots of beautiful harmless sea creatures.
– Go to the other side of Cozumel or the Wild Side. Here you will be presented with secluded ocean and beach. You may also find sea turtles hatching from below the sand if you are lucky.
– Try visiting Punta Sur Cozumel. Here you will be presented with spectacular ecological reservation with amazing scenic views from the top of Celarain lighthouse. Check our other holiday recommendation on Cozumel vs Riviera Maya here.
About Playa Del Carmen
Playa Del Carmen is a city in Mexico located along the Caribbean Sea. As one of the famous destination in Mexico, the city is always packed with tourist whether those who especially visit Playa Del Carmen or those who want to catch a ferry to visit the neighboring island Cozumel. The city is also among the famous tourist district called Riviera Maya that spread Puerto Morelos to Punta Allen.
The temperature in the city is pretty warm with average temperature around 30 degree Celsius with most rains happened between September and October.
Transportation in Playa Del Carmen
To reach the city, you have to fly to the closest airport that located in Cancun. Some people may enjoy their trip by transferring to Cozumel from Cancun and cross to Playa Del Carmen with ferry. But the most popular way is using the Bus to reach the city from Cancun. When you already in the city, the best way to enjoy it is by walking since the city is small enough and you can reach all the attraction by foot. But you will also find Taxi or rent a car if you want to reach further places.
Tourist Attraction in Playa Del Carmen
Here are some recommended activities taken from usnews, you can do in Playa Del Carmen:
– Visit Playa Del Carmen Beach. Here you can find beautiful white sand with clear blue water and many resting places for you to enjoy the view while resting.
– Try visiting La Quinta Avenida. Here you can find assortments of restaurants, hotels, hostels and bars. If you enjoy nightlife, this place is a must to try.
– For those seeking a place to snorkel or dive. The offshore near Isla Cozumel is a great place with its colorful population of fish.
Now, let’s compare Cozumel with Playa Del Carmen. Hotels in Cozumel are much more laid back than those in Playa del Carmen with more tropical vibe. When it comes to marine life viewing, Cozumel beaches is the right place while in Playa Del Carmen this thing is very rare. The water in Playa Del Carmen also depends on the weather and it is quite hard to see marine life swimming around you unlike in Cozumel where the water is mostly crystal blue.
When it comes to food, Playa Del Carmen offers unlimited options with the best price compare to Cozumel. However, Cozumel offer better Snorkeling spot with its beautiful reefs and lush marine life.
Cozumel vs Playa del Carmen
|Cozumel||Playa Del Carmen|
|– Better for foodies||– Better beaches|
|– Better nightlife||– Better snorkeling spots|
|– Better for holiday without bringing children||– Better for holiday with children|
All in all, the decision is all yours to make. In our opinion, it is best to suit your destination with your preference. If nightlife and food are what you are seeking for then Playa Del Carmen is the best option but if you are looking for great beaches and first class snorkeling spot, Cozumel will not disappoint you.]]>